Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on breaking out Degenerate Dimension to separate dimension

2 posters

Go down

Question on breaking out Degenerate Dimension to separate dimension Empty Question on breaking out Degenerate Dimension to separate dimension

Post  mru22 Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 pm

I currently have a Claim Payment Fact Table that has on degenerative dimension for a "PaymentNumber"

Table ClaimPaymentFact

ClaimPaymentKey
ClaimKey
ClaimPaymentTypeKey
PaymentNumber
..etc

The client now needs 3 additional non fact columns from the Operational Table that would also translate directly to the fact table based on where the data is sourced.

the new columsn are

1) Transcation Number
2) Payee Name
3) Journal Voucher Code

The cardinality is moderate so I was thinking of making a new dimesion and adding those three columns plus moving down payment into the new dimension.

Or am I better off having three more non fact columns in the fact table.

If I do make a new dimension, what would be considered the natural key from the Source ?

Thanks

mru22

Back to top Go down

Question on breaking out Degenerate Dimension to separate dimension Empty Re: Question on breaking out Degenerate Dimension to separate dimension

Post  John Simon Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:04 am

Create a separate dimension based on the transaction key. Most likely this table will only ever be used to get the detail on a small number of records in a drill through situation. If you put then in the fact table performance of other queries on that fact table would degrade for no good reason.

John Simon

http://jsimonbi.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down