Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One-to-one dimension to fact

2 posters

Go down

One-to-one dimension to fact Empty One-to-one dimension to fact

Post  wjordan Wed May 12, 2010 8:48 am

I have inherited a design with a very wide fact table. It includes many timestamps, long varchar descriptions, booleans, as well as legitimate FKs to dimensions and numerous measures. There are also numerous dates, but I have a DATE_DIM, and consider the dates as legitimate FKs to to that dim. I have considered a dim table for booleans and then one dim table that has all the varchars and timestamps as attributes. However, that new dim would be one-to-one with the fact. And the varshars would not work well in a junk dim, as they are free-form descriptions (not to search by, but to display on BI reports). Is the one-to-one dim the way to go or am I better leaving these timestamps and varchars in the fact as degenerate dims? This is Oracle. The current fact has 200 columns and 100,000,000 rows.

wjordan

Back to top Go down

One-to-one dimension to fact Empty Re: One-to-one dimension to fact

Post  ngalemmo Wed May 12, 2010 12:47 pm

You have your work cut out for you.

You need to break things up a bit, and you may want to consider moving the text to a junk dimension. Even though the text is free-form, people are creatures of habit and, depending on the nature of the text, there may be more commonality than you may think.

When I have implemented a junk text dimension in the past, I build the table with a surrogate primary key, a hash number as a non-unique alternate key and the text field. I have two indexes, one on the PK and the other on the hash number ( a pseudo natural key). The range of the hash number should be a large as resonably possible, a 32 bit CRC hash of the text is best (the Oracle hash function will let you use 2^30 -1 as the upper limit). The hash will not be unique, but it avoids having to index the text and is close enough so that doing a lookup to find an existing text is efficient.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down