Is it acceptable to update fact row with latest status?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it acceptable to update fact row with latest status?

Post  Scott on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:38 am

I am creating a fact table for every interview slot that's created.

If the interview is re-arranged, a new interview slot is created. There is a status on the interview. So in this scenario it would begin as 'Arranged' and be changed to 'Re-arranged'.
The new slot created would have a status of 'Arranged'. If attended, the status would change to 'Attended'.

Eg.

Interviews
ID    Slot        Date               Time    Person              Interviewer        Room   Status

1     1           10-Mar-2016   10:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   17       Arranged
2     1           10-Mar-2016   10:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   17       Re-arranged
3     2           23-Mar-2016   13:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   23       Arranged
4     2           23-Mar-2016   13:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   23       Attended

I do not have a requirement to track the changes of the status, and just need the current status.

So I only need to see this

Interviews
ID    Slot    Date              Time    Person              Interviewer        Room   Status

1     1        10-Mar-2016   10:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   17       Re-arranged
2     2        23-Mar-2016   13:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   23       Attended

With this in mind, is it reasonable to update the fact row with the current status. I know it is frowned upon to update facts, but would it acceptable in this scenario? Or maybe I have my design wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Scott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it acceptable to update fact row with latest status?

Post  ngalemmo on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:40 pm

There is nothing that prevents you from updating a fact row. And it is actually more common than you might think.
ngalemmo

View user profile http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 am

Thank you for your reply, I was under the impression it was sacrilegious to update a fact row other than an accumulating snapshot fact. I will go down this route, thanks again.

Scott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:37 am

Or simple snapshots, such as yours.
ngalemmo

View user profile http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top