Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dimensional Model Tips

2 posters

Go down

Dimensional Model Tips Empty Dimensional Model Tips

Post  RM7 Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi

We are trying to implement Dimensional Modelling for the report requirement for the user group. The overall source system can be represented as:

Dimensional Model Tips Model12
I have transactional information / measures available for different services and there are different attributes available for each service and the same applies to Orders, Privileges, Publishes & Reviews. Do we need to have fact table for each service and each for order or to create one big fact at the lowest grain available? 

We are building this to accommodate Operational reporting. So I can’t aggregate any information and need to bring in the same grain of information that is available in source.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
RM

RM7

Back to top Go down

Dimensional Model Tips Empty RE: Dimensional Model Tips

Post  rathjeevesh Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:53 pm

For operational reporting I would suggest not to go for star schema. You can adopt a denormalized version (optimized for reporting) of ER model and bring the concept of generalization and specialization for data storage, based upon what you have shared regarding the source data.

-JR

rathjeevesh

Back to top Go down