Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dimentional Modelling Insight

2 posters

Go down

Dimentional Modelling Insight Empty Dimentional Modelling Insight

Post  Prince101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Hello Guys, I work in a claim management company and we are implementing our first DW, I am trying to de-normalized various tables to make a single dimension. My questions
1. I have 14 dimensions already and still need more dimensions, how many dimension can a data warehouse have?
2. I have 12 tables that is associated with a claim table all using the business key to link each other to some extent while few using primary keys, is it possible to join all 12 tables into one large table, in this case, can I have a snowflake dimension or join all..if the later is the case, wont it be a problem to have more than 25 columns in a single dimension?
3. T-SQL vs SSIS slowly changing dimension: which is best to use as I am not good in query writing but the test I did on ssis slowly changing dimension wizard is too slow

I will be glad if someone can lecture me and sorry all for the pains in reading

Prince101

Back to top Go down

Dimentional Modelling Insight Empty Re: Dimentional Modelling Insight

Post  Jeff Smith Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 pm

I work in the insurance field. Claim fact tables can be quite leggy - customer info, client info, service provider info, product, dates, adjudication info, etc. You figure at least 4 date fields on the claim - incident date (or service date), date the claim was received, adjudication date, paid date. Potentially 4 Address fields, 4 zip code related fields. That's 18 dimensions and you haven't adjudicated the claim.

You kind of have to play around with it. Try IDying smaller dimensions that could be combined into a junk dimension - but sometimes combining 2 smaller dimensions can explcause the number of rows to explode.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince101 Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:44 am

Thank you very much Jeff

Prince101

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down