Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joining multiple star schema in BO

3 posters

Go down

Joining multiple star schema in BO Empty Joining multiple star schema in BO

Post  Swati Gutgutia Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi,

I have two star schema with common dimension tables.
I want to create data foundation in BO in such a manner so that i can query upon Fact 1 and Dim 1...Dim n, fact 2 and Dim 1..Dim n and, Fact 1, Fact 2 and Dim 1...Dim N
I have created
1. one context for one star schema with Fact 1 and related dimension tables (Dim 1...Dim n)
2. one context for one star schema with Fact 2 and related dimension tables (Dim 1...Dim n)
3. One context using Fact 1 and Dim 1(conformed dimension) and Fact 2 and Dim 1 (conformed dimension)

Now, when i am using the reporting layer
1. Upon using both the fact table and the dimension table I see two queries being generated. Which are then getting Unioned and giving me the result. Will this give correct reslut?
I want to have a single query that picks fact from both the fact tables having dimension members of Dim 1 common in both of them

I am stuck with a deadline, Will really appreciate a quick response.

Swati Gutgutia

Back to top Go down

Joining multiple star schema in BO Empty Joining multiple star schema in BO

Post  rathjeevesh Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Use the option of merging of dimension. Use two independent data provider for star schema 1 and another for star schema 2. Then merge the result based upon your common dimension which will do a left outer join between these results.
Please clarify on your exact reporting requirement. Then a concrete solution can be proposed.

rathjeevesh

Back to top Go down

Joining multiple star schema in BO Empty Re: Joining multiple star schema in BO

Post  ngalemmo Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Swati Gutgutia wrote:
1. Upon using both the fact table and the dimension table I see two queries being generated. Which are then getting Unioned and giving me the result. Will this give correct reslut?

This is correct.

Swati Gutgutia wrote:I want to have a single query that picks fact from both the fact tables having dimension members of Dim 1 common in both of them

No, this is absolutely NOT what you want it to do. BOBJ handles star schema correctly. Don't mess with it.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Joining multiple star schema in BO Empty Re: Joining multiple star schema in BO

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down