Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purchasing Fact Model problem

2 posters

Go down

Purchasing Fact Model problem Empty Purchasing Fact Model problem

Post  PVick Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:36 am

I think the purchasing model I have taken on may be incorrect.
We currently store Purchase Requisition(Req), Purchase Order(PO), and Goods Recipt(GRN) facts in a single facPurchasing table. Grain should be Req Line/PO Line.
Lines in facPurchasing are updated as processing occurs ie. A GRN key will be inserted against an existing line when an item is received against a PO.

The problem I have is that a single GRN can exist for more than 1 PO Line, but also multiple GRN's can exist for a single line (eg. when 3 out of 6 items on line are delivered). How should I model this? I think trying to refine the grain further would be too difficult.

Should I separate out a GRN fact table, and if I want a report to show Req's, PO's and GRN's together, will having an FK to each dimension in each fact table work?

PVick

Back to top Go down

Purchasing Fact Model problem Empty Re: Purchasing Fact Model problem

Post  ngalemmo Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:32 am

Requisition, purchasing, and receiving are three different, somewhat independent, business processes. They should be represented by 3 fact tables. You can create an aggregate from the detail if necessary.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PVick Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:00 am

Thanks for the reply.
Would having FK's for dimGRN & dimReq in facPurchasing be the correct way to model for drill-across queries/reports?

PVick

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Yes, you would want to carry document # and line # as degenerate dimension values to integrate across the facts.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down