Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transforming data

2 posters

Go down

Transforming data Empty Transforming data

Post  Kbheir Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:32 am

Hi,

I have a question related to transformation is DW. In our system (Property Management) we buy, sell and let properties. In that we have a dimension called unit which is nothing but a subset of a property. For e.g. we have a property and that property has several floors, so a floor can be treated as unit. When the unit is deactivated the Area of that unit is automatically removed from the whole property but sometimes the unit is not actually deactivated but named as "deactivated" which will be actually deactivated at later point. But when we are reporting, users don't want to show the area and income of this particular unit. Generally data input users do zero out area and income when they name unit as "deactivated" but sometimes they forget. So is this something which I should be taking care when doing transformation in DW i.e changing area to 0 even if there is an area for the unit named as "deactivated"?
Please do let me know if the question is unclear.

Many Thanks,
Kanishka.

Kbheir

Back to top Go down

Transforming data Empty Re: Transforming data

Post  cjrinpdx Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:58 am

Generally it is best to correct any issues with the data in the source system, but that is not always possible. It is perfectly acceptable to correct this issue when loading the data warehouse.

cjrinpdx

Back to top Go down

Transforming data Empty Many thanks for your reply cjrinpdx

Post  Kbheir Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:00 am

cjrinpdx wrote:Generally it is best to correct any issues with the data in the source system, but that is not always possible. It is perfectly acceptable to correct this issue when loading the data warehouse.

Kbheir

Back to top Go down

Transforming data Empty Re: Transforming data

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down