Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vindication

Go down

Vindication Empty Vindication

Post  Jeff Smith Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:55 pm

I've been in a long battle with a different group about data warehousing. We were essentially 2 different organizations and have been integrating systems. My data is still on the old system and the "other group" is pulling data from the new system.

The other group is 100% against Star Schema's and prefers a more complex design. All of the reports in the other database use the same Stored procedures. The reports run a long, long time and the only people who are happy with the database are the guys in the "other group". To make the data easier for end users, they want to create "marts" with essentially the fact tables denormalized. they want tons and tons of space.

An outside vendor came in to assess the issue and guess what? The vendor is in 100% agreement with my star schema and want to leverage it. At one point in the meeting with the vendor, I told them that in another job we used to have a sign that said, "What Would Ralph Do"? The vendor said, "Ralph Kimball?".

I just laughed and laughed all the way home.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum