Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fact table, strings and row size

4 posters

Go down

Fact table, strings and row size Empty Fact table, strings and row size

Post  adrianw Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 am

I'm very new to dimensional modelling, but I'm looking at a design made by someone very experienced.

That design has in each fact table a set of metadata attributes, e.g. "data provider", along with denormalised versions of things are really dimensions but which no one is ever going to query and make the design too complex to have as dimensions, e.g. currency code, currency description.

So an example row would be:

"RETAIL", "Import from retail transactions", "123.45", "USD", "United State Dollars", 11/22/2010

The upshot of this is that each fact table row is over 1kB, but the actual numeric facts only amount to about 100B. To me that seems madness, meaning I have to spend a huge amount of money on disc bandwidth to feed the processors during table scans (this is SQL Server, so no column oriented compression).

Is this normal/usual/correct?

adrianw

Back to top Go down

Fact table, strings and row size Empty Re: Fact table, strings and row size

Post  John Simon Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:28 pm

It's terrible. It wouldn't matter if it was a columnar database, but in a row-based database like SQL Server it's extremely bad practice. Essentially if you run a query for a sum of amount, you have to go through more pages than you need to, adversely affecting performance.

Rip them out.

John Simon

http://jsimonbi.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:28 pm

Yep... ditch the text, use dimensions.

I have seen this before, and the common complaint is that queries run for a very long time. Most of the time this type of thing is done by ex 3NF modelers who believe the issue is reducing the number of joins. Actually, the real issue is how you join. A properly designed star schema on a database system that supports star joins will outperform big flat tables any day.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  adrianw Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:17 pm

The thing that bothers me is that the person who designed has an impeccable industry reputation and decades of experience.

Maybe I misled with my example, there are also dimensions (and copies of the dimension values) involved so it is more like:

"RETAIL", "Import from retail transactions", customerid, "JOHN SMITH", customeraddressid, productid, 123.45, "USD", "United State Dollars", 11/22/2010

Last edited by adrianw on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

adrianw

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Yep, I've seen it before as well. Create a dimensional model, but denormalize all the dimension attributes to the fact table to "improve performance". It will actually degrade performance over time. Hopefully none of the denormalized columns are from type 2 dimensions or you'll really be in a world of hurt.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  adrianw Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:28 pm

In this instance the denomalising is not to improve performance but to improve readability of the fact table.

adrianw

Back to top Go down

Post  John Simon Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:56 pm

If you want to improve readability then use a view. These additional attributes will adversely impact performance.

John Simon

http://jsimonbi.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:22 pm

adrianw wrote:In this instance the denomalising is not to improve performance but to improve readability of the fact table.

This doesn't make sense to me. Why wouldn't you just do a join to pull the columns in that you want to see?
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Bottom line, its a bad design. My comment is not intended to vilify the person that did it. Sometimes, particularly if you are a consultant, have to compromise designs to suit the client. Politics often drive decisions, not technical purity.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down