Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dimensions in fact table

+3
Jeff Smith
ngalemmo
fico
7 posters

Go down

Dimensions in fact table Empty Dimensions in fact table

Post  fico Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:55 am

Hello,

I'm working definining a dimensional model in a bank. We have Teradata as DB and MicroStrategy as BI tool.

We have many fact tables and most of the fact table lowest level is the "Contract" dimension.

We have many other dimensions that have a relation with "Contract" like "Customer", "Product", "Sales Manager", "Branch",...

They have more than 15 million customers and 400 million Contracts. We have to keep 13 months of history in the fact tables. For example the Balance fact have more than 5200 millon rows.

I want to define a star model with the Balance Fact table but I have a doubt about the dimensions that I should include in this fact table. I have to different approach:

Approach 1: Define the fact table with dimensions Contract, Customer, Product, Sales Manager and Month. and not define any relation between the dimensions.

Approach 2: Define the fact table with only the Contract dimension, and define the relations between the other dimension tables as a hierarchy in MicroStrategy. The model will be more a snowflake than a star.

Sometime my customer wants to query for example how many customers have a contract of type "X" and I don't want to go throw the huge fact table to find the relation between contracts and customers.

Any help will be really apreciated.

Best Regards,
Fico

fico

Back to top Go down

Dimensions in fact table Empty Re: Dimensions in fact table

Post  ngalemmo Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:21 am

Approach 1. However the comment, "not define any relation between the dimensions" is somewhat incorrect since the fact table itself implies relationships between the dimensions.

You may want to consider additional dimensions, breaking down the 'contract' into smaller dimensions to eliminate the huge contract dimension itself.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:47 am

Does Contract need to be a dimension table or can the Contract identifier be a degenerate dimension? In place of the Contract, you could include the Contract Type as a dimension or as part of a junk dimension.

If Contract is the entity that pulls everything together, then it sounds to me that it is the fact.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  John Simon Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:31 pm

I assume you are creating these as views since you're using Teradata?

Why not try approach 1, as well as another factless fact table for the relationship between customer and contract?

John Simon

http://jsimonbi.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hang Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:18 am

Thinking along the line that ngalemmo suggested, eliminating the massive contract dimension and introducing mini-dimensions in your star schema is a sensible compromise for the benefit of significant performance gain when dealing with Very Large Tables (VLT). You may have your schema built at aggregate levels on both dimensions and facts to give you quick high level analytic views and also allow navigations into lower level details. Querying against 5200 million rows for any aggregation on the fly is challenging in terms of performance whereas retrieving recalculated aggregates against a few million summarized rows would be a matter of seconds.

I would also create a mini-dimension for customer dimension to include all the low cardinality but analytically useful attributes, say demographic dimension, so that you could also build the aggregate fact related only by much smaller mini-dimensions.

Stick to star schema as a general guideline for dimensional modeling, but snowflake sensibly in certain circumstances. For instance you could snowflake the customer dimension by including FK of demographic dimension (outrigger) so that you can have the relationship without going through massive fact table.

hang

Back to top Go down

Post  gvarga Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:00 am

Hi,
In a banking DW Contract and Customer have a very special role, they are dimensions and in some sence facts also.

I designed the following DW structure concerning your objects:

Contract
Contract Id
Customer Id (FK)
Product Id (FK)
Branch Id (FK)
Manager Id (FK)
Start date
End date etc.

Customer, Product, Branch, Manager etc dimensions

Date dimension

Balances fact table
Id
Contract Id
Date Id
Various balances etc.

When your customer wants to query how many customers have a contract of product "X" then you will get the info from your Contract table .

So the model is snowflake like.

I just miss from the model the Account object.

gvarga

Back to top Go down

Post  sgudavalli Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:36 am

i will go with approach 2..

it doesnt make sense to query facts to identify the relationship b/w contract and dimension... heirarchies shuld be nice.

sgudavalli

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:29 pm

Approach 2 is a terrible choice. It is not thinking dimensionally and the query performance would be absolutely horrendous.

The idea of a contract dimension, with a near 1:1 relationship to the fact is ER thinking. The idea that you have a business key (i.e. the contract ID) that identifies an entity and that attributes directly relating to that business key must exist in that entity is, plain and simple, 3NF.

Dimensional thinking is that you have a business event (customer enters into a contract) or a business state (customer has a contract) and you represent it with a fact table. You surround that fact with context... aka dimensions. Now, the particular contract is a context, but it is far to broad to be usable as a dimension, so you break it down into smaller contexts. What product, terms, conditions, etc... Each smaller context becomes a dimension and appear as FK references in the fact table. With the smaller scope, each dimension is much, much smaller that the combined (contract) dimension. The result is much faster and simpler queries, and a much smaller database overall. Of course, you retain the contract ID, but it becomes a degenerate dimension in the fact table and a side note in terms of business analysis.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

Back to top Go down

Post  sgudavalli Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 am

thnks for a perfect explanation.

i see contract as a dimension not sure if its degenerate in nature. and i see snow flakes with contract to the rest of dimensions.

regards
shiv

sgudavalli

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:47 pm

Don't snowflake. The contract ID is degenerate.

If you need to know the state of a contract, implement it using a factless fact table... a simple row with all the FK's referencing the components of the contract.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down