Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on Dimenstion refernece to another dimension.

2 posters

Go down

Question on Dimenstion refernece to another dimension. Empty Question on Dimenstion refernece to another dimension.

Post  mru22 Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:23 pm

I am trying to Add a PersonIncdient Dimension And Claims fact table as shown below:

Dimension
PersonIncident
PersonIncidentKey
AffectedPersonId
IncidentId
[CostCenterKey] <== Not Yet Added

Fact
Claims
PersonincidentKey
DateKey
[CostCenterKey] <== Not Yet Added

I have an existing Dimension CostCenter which in the operational table has a foreign key to the PersonIncident Table.

I was wondering if I should make the Foreign key directly to the fact table from cost center or should I keep the Cost Center Dimension foreign key reference in the PersonIncident Dimension ? A person Record can only be associated to one cost center so I think I could answer the same questions either way. I was trying to avoid snowflaked dimensions if possible.

So I wasn't sure what the tradeoffs are of going one route vs another, especially performance wise ?

Thank you.

mru22

Back to top Go down

Question on Dimenstion refernece to another dimension. Empty Re: Question on Dimenstion refernece to another dimension.

Post  ngalemmo Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:48 pm

I would make person and incident independent dimensions off the fact. The fact table would naturally infer the person and incident relationship.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Question on Dimenstion refernece to another dimension. Empty Re: Question on Dimenstion refernece to another dimension.

Post  mru22 Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:51 pm

How about the Cost Center ? Since it was originally a foreign key in the Person, Should I key it into the fact directly as well ?

mru22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down