Value circle in real life

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Value circle in real life

Post  DMModeler on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:27 am

HI
I am referring to Value Circle concept brought out in Kimball's Datawarehouse Lifecycle Toolkit.
As given in Page 202, 203, "Value circle" would be suitable for measuring or performing the same kind of transaction. The example considered here is health care domain, where in the involved stakeholders are Hospitals, Clinics, Laboratories, Insurance Companies, Pharmacies, Government agencies etc.
Now, as per the value circle concept, the patient treatment data can be shared across all these entities only if the patient treatment data is confirmed and these organizations should use confirmed dimensions.

In any Enterprise DWH, we know the complexity and the kind of political challenges that should be surpassed to build an EDWH. Having said that I am just wondering are there any practical implementations of DWH, based on the value circle concept which recommends building confirmed dimensions across organizations.
I am not aware of any such practical implementations, and hence request to post any such experiences along with key points to consider

Thanks

DMModeler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Value circle in real life

Post  ngalemmo on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:20 pm

An important thing to remember about conformed dimensions is conformance is obtained through attributes, not keys.

It would be impossible to ensure the same dimension surrogate keys across external organizations, but there is no reason your DW cannot carry business keys used by other organizations as dimensional attributes. Interactions with external organizations would be through those attributes.

The other qualification is the conformed dimensions represent the same entities accross the organizations. In other words, a 'patient' in your model represents the same thing as a 'patient' in the industry standard model.
ngalemmo

View user profile http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Value Circle in real life

Post  DMModeler on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
I am looking for any case study in real life situation, where this kind of cross organization DWH implemented using these principles, or this is more of theory.
If this is implemented any where can some one please let me know details about the same. Basically I am interested to know,
(a) How this can be of some help to any organization under study, with out copying or transfering data from across organizations?
(b) What kind of business Intelligence that can be achieved in such scenarios
(c) also would like to know, apart from health care is this applicable in any other industry especially in banking, financial industry.

Thanks

DMModeler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Value circle in real life

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top