Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

User Access Control + Dimensional Model

3 posters

Go down

User Access Control + Dimensional Model Empty User Access Control + Dimensional Model

Post  LR Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:54 am

Hi All,

How can I implement an user access control along with a dimensional model?
Let me take the classic sales star schema: fact_sales, dim_date, dim_store and dim_product.
Also I have 100 end-users of my web application.
Each user is allowed to access a sub-set of products. For example, User 1 must access only Product A and Product B.
The problem is that my access control list may change in the security system on the fly. So if I connect the user access control to the star schema it may be outdated. In other words, I can have a security flaw if I keep a snapshot of user access control.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

LR

LR

Back to top Go down

User Access Control + Dimensional Model Empty Re: User Access Control + Dimensional Model

Post  ngalemmo Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Usually stuff like this is a bit easier to do in the BI layer. In a database, a common approach is to set up various schema with views and synonym references to the DW tables. You create views with built in filters to limit content. But it really depends on the database you are using.

In any case, it's a real pain to maintain...
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

User Access Control + Dimensional Model Empty Re: User Access Control + Dimensional Model

Post  LAndrews Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:52 pm

I'll assume your access control list contains the natural/business product identifier (e.g. SKU number).

From a dimensional model perspective, simply use the product identifier from your access list to filter on the product dimension. This will limit any query to the allowed products.

Depending on your BI toolset, there are numerous ways to implement this (database views, BI Metadata etc).

LAndrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down