Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The use of a bridge table

3 posters

Go down

The use of a bridge table Empty The use of a bridge table

Post  lconsalvo Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:45 am

I have a mortgage loan fact table, which can have 1 to N borrower's associated with it, if coborrowers come into play. Is using a borrower bridge table the correct design, since for each detail loan fact the number of borrowers can be different. If i use the bridge table, I am assuming I really dont need apportion factor, since all I am trying to accomplish is capturing the borrower information that is associated to a loan. Its better than adding multiple fk's pointing back to the borrower dimension for every possible borrower/coborrower relationship. Also, there is a business rule that a loan can have at most 4 borrower's, 1 primary borrower and up to 3 co-borrowers, so maybe it would be better to have the 4 fk's back to the borrower dimension and populate the borrower key on the fact table with either a real borrower key or a default key indicating not applicable. Any thoughts on the best desing approach.

Thanks,
Louie

lconsalvo

Back to top Go down

The use of a bridge table Empty Re: The use of a bridge table

Post  BoxesAndLines Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:55 am

4 fk's. It's easier all the way around.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:30 pm

If all you are trying to do is have the ability to list the borrowers on a loan, then yes, as B&L pointed out, just have 4 FKs and be done with it.

What you would not be able to do is determine what other mortgages someone may have. Which is probably useless information, given the way mortgages are handled; unless you happen to be a credit reporting agency, and even then, they would probably not use a bridge.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down