Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modeling cube for monitoring a process

2 posters

Go down

Modeling cube for monitoring a process Empty Modeling cube for monitoring a process

Post  acobb Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:35 am

I am working on modeling a cube to track the effectiveness of steps in a process. I have two main questions:

- how to track the duration of the current step, basically how long has it been in progress
- how to record the duration once the step is complete

My current idea is to have one record in the fact table for each step in the process. Each fact would have a days to accept, days to deny, and days in progress. A step is always in one of these three statuses. Thus, if a step is in progress then during the nightly data load I would update the days in progress on the existing fact. Once the step is accepted, then I would change the days in progress to zero and do a one time update of the existing fact to record the days to accept. Once a step is accepted or denied, it cannot be reopened, so I would not need to update the fact again.

Is there a better way to design this model?

acobb

Back to top Go down

Modeling cube for monitoring a process Empty Re: Modeling cube for monitoring a process

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:57 am

Yes, use an accumulating snapshot if you have well defined steps.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Modeling cube for monitoring a process Empty Thanks

Post  acobb Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:02 am

Thanks for the quick response. An accumulating fact appears to be what I am looking for in the BI world.

acobb

Back to top Go down

Modeling cube for monitoring a process Empty Re: Modeling cube for monitoring a process

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 pm

One caveat for cubes, you generally have to rebuild the entire cube for accumulating snapshots.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down