Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorting / Ordinal for dimension status attribute

3 posters

Go down

Sorting / Ordinal for dimension status attribute Empty Sorting / Ordinal for dimension status attribute

Post  ryno1234 Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:23 pm

I have a dimension (vehicles) which carries a Status attribute. The various values that can exist in a status have a somewhat nature flow to their order (i.e. New, In Service, Sold). When displaying data grouped by this status value, I'd like to order my groupings by this natural flow. What is the best way to represent an ordinal for a given dimension value?
ryno1234
ryno1234

Back to top Go down

Sorting / Ordinal for dimension status attribute Empty Re: Sorting / Ordinal for dimension status attribute

Post  ngalemmo Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:05 pm

You could add a report sequence attribute to the dimension.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Sorting / Ordinal for dimension status attribute Empty Re: Sorting / Ordinal for dimension status attribute

Post  ryno1234 Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks, I had figured it might be as simple as adding new attribute, but I didn't know if a different method was more accepted.

Thank you again.
ryno1234
ryno1234

Back to top Go down

Post  zoom Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Would like to give a tip on creating a sequence and its data type. It is more flexible to use a decimal sequence data type then use a integer data type. For example if you already have a sequence number 1, 2, 3 and latter down the road business user wants to see "rebuilt" between "new" and "In Service" value, then giving a sequence value of 1.5 would prevent any re-sequencing if you used decimal data type.

seq#, value
1 , New
1.5 , Rebuilt
2, In Service
3, Sold

zoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down