Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multivalue attributes

2 posters

Go down

Multivalue attributes Empty Multivalue attributes

Post  dkolls Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:38 pm

I am working on a model for use by the fund raising unit of our university. They want to be able to do some CRM type reporting on our alumni / donor data.
In creating a constituent dimension I have found that there are a large number of attributes that are multivalued. A constituent can have zero, one or more degrees, one or more category codes, zero, one or more exclusion codes, zero, one or more (in some cases hundreds) of activity codes and so on.
I have read what I can find on multivalued dimensions in ‘The Data Warehouse Toolkit’ and in many articles, but most of what I have read deals with one multivalued dimension. I have not been able to get a clear idea as to how to deal with several multiple dimension attributes.
Is the way to handle this to create a factless fact for constituent and try to combine them that way?
Thank you for any advice or further study I can do on this.

Last edited by dkolls on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

dkolls

Back to top Go down

Multivalue attributes Empty Re: Multivalue attributes

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:41 pm

You could break each multivalued attribute into its own dimension and then create a bridge table for each dimension.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  dkolls Wed May 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Would the bridges be between the constituent dimension and each new dimension or between each new dimension and the fact table?

dkolls

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed May 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Between the fact and the dimension. Here's a link to an article, bridge tables, or search the board for bridge tables. There's lots of posts on the topic.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down