Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sales Forecast Movements

2 posters

Go down

Sales Forecast Movements Empty Sales Forecast Movements

Post  kyllonnoc Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:56 pm

First time forum poster, I've read The Data Warehouse Toolkit (very informative) but I'm struggling to conceptualise one of my companies analytic requirements.

We have a sales forecast report that lists which orders are forecasted to drop in a particular time frame. One of the requirements for the data warehouse is to store this information on a month by month/quarter by quarter basis and highlight the movements that occur. For example, in January, Order A was forecasted to drop in June but then in Febuary a sales person changes the expected drop date to July. A user, running the report in Febuary, must be able to see that a movement has occured for that Order.

This is how I was thinking of doing it...

I have a FactOrders table with the columns FactID, OrderID, DropDateID, OrderValue and it would look like this for Order A:

FactID,OrderID,DropDateID,OrderValue
1, OrderA, 2010-06-01, 1000.00
2, OrderA, 2010-07-01, 1000.00

Doing it this way would obviously mess up my monthly totals for June so I was thinking of adding a third row to negate the original, like this:

FactID,OrderID,DropDateID,OrderValue
1, OrderA, 2010-06-01, 1000.00
2, OrderA, 2010-06-01, -1000.00
3, OrderA, 2010-07-01, 1000.00

As I am new at this I am concerned that I am over complicating the whole thing so any input would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Kevin

kyllonnoc

Back to top Go down

Sales Forecast Movements Empty Re: Sales Forecast Movements

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:51 pm

You could do a snapshot fact. Much like checking account balances, the order value would not be additive across snapshots. This approach would depend on the transaction volume.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down