Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building a Recruitment and Admissions fact table

3 posters

Go down

Building a Recruitment and Admissions fact table Empty Building a Recruitment and Admissions fact table

Post  kikesegarra Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi

I'm currently working in a Recruitment and admissions data mart for a university. Right now I'm designing the student fact table. In this fact table I want to track the prospective student events during the recruitment, application, and admission process. I'm not sure if I have to build a separate fact table for the prospect student because this is a process that involve different contact dates with the prospective student, and the application and admission part has only one or two contacts. I was thinking about an Accumulating Snapshot for the admission part and a separate fact table with 1 or more rows per student for the Recruitment or prospect process. I would like your opinion on this.

Thanks

kikesegarra

Back to top Go down

Building a Recruitment and Admissions fact table Empty Re: Building a Recruitment and Admissions fact table

Post  ngalemmo Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Generally, fact tables should focus on a particular process or event. For example, in an order-to-cash environment for a manufacturer, you have orders, fulfillment/shipping and invoicing. These are separate activities and are captured in separate fact tables. One may build an aggregate of these three subject areas, but not without first collecting the detail separately. In your case, you have applications, admissions and eventually, enrollment. These are three somewhat independent steps that occur at different times with their own processes, not unlike the order-to-cash scenario.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Building a Recruitment and Admissions fact table Empty Re: Building a Recruitment and Admissions fact table

Post  Vincent Rainardi Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:00 pm

I'd put the recruitment, application and admission processes into 3 separate fact tables Kkesegarra, as they are 3 different business events.

Vincent Rainardi

http://www.datawarehouse.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down