Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it acceptable to update fact row with latest status?

2 posters

Go down

Is it acceptable to update fact row with latest status? Empty Is it acceptable to update fact row with latest status?

Post  Scott Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:38 am

I am creating a fact table for every interview slot that's created.

If the interview is re-arranged, a new interview slot is created. There is a status on the interview. So in this scenario it would begin as 'Arranged' and be changed to 'Re-arranged'.
The new slot created would have a status of 'Arranged'. If attended, the status would change to 'Attended'.

Eg.

Interviews
ID    Slot        Date               Time    Person              Interviewer        Room   Status

1     1           10-Mar-2016   10:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   17       Arranged
2     1           10-Mar-2016   10:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   17       Re-arranged
3     2           23-Mar-2016   13:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   23       Arranged
4     2           23-Mar-2016   13:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   23       Attended

I do not have a requirement to track the changes of the status, and just need the current status.

So I only need to see this

Interviews
ID    Slot    Date              Time    Person              Interviewer        Room   Status

1     1        10-Mar-2016   10:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   17       Re-arranged
2     2        23-Mar-2016   13:30   Steve Baldwin    James Edwards   23       Attended

With this in mind, is it reasonable to update the fact row with the current status. I know it is frowned upon to update facts, but would it acceptable in this scenario? Or maybe I have my design wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Scott

Back to top Go down

Is it acceptable to update fact row with latest status? Empty Re: Is it acceptable to update fact row with latest status?

Post  ngalemmo Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:40 pm

There is nothing that prevents you from updating a fact row. And it is actually more common than you might think.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Is it acceptable to update fact row with latest status? Empty Re: Is it acceptable to update fact row with latest status?

Post  Scott Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 am

Thank you for your reply, I was under the impression it was sacrilegious to update a fact row other than an accumulating snapshot fact. I will go down this route, thanks again.

Scott

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:37 am

Or simple snapshots, such as yours.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down