Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-playing dimension or seperate dimensions?

3 posters

Go down

Role-playing dimension or seperate dimensions? Empty Role-playing dimension or seperate dimensions?

Post  Scott Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:42 am

I have three facts that use their own distinct statuses for each process. Should I have all of the statuses in one dimension and have a status type to identify, or should they be in 3 separate dimensions? I've read about role-playing dimensions, however I wasn't sure if this counts as the three facts don't share the statuses, they have their own set of statuses.

In the same vain, all three facts each have a long free text note field, I obviously don't want this in the fact so am going to put in it's own dimension. Is it good practice to put these in one dimension or three separate? The cardinality of the notes to fact is very high.

Thanks in advance

Scott

Back to top Go down

Role-playing dimension or seperate dimensions? Empty Re: Role-playing dimension or seperate dimensions?

Post  ngalemmo Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:51 pm

It is not clear if you mean each process has completely different code values or a common set of status codes and different contexts.

If it is simply different context then role playing (i.e. a qualified foreign key column name) against a common dimension table is the standard approach.

If the values are different you could go either way... separate tables or one. All that matters is the table structure is the same and the natural keys are unique. It is generally better to use a single table in such cases as it saves development work.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Role-playing dimension or seperate dimensions? Empty Re: Role-playing dimension or seperate dimensions?

Post  Scott Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Thank you for your reply. Apologies for the lack of clarity, each process has a separate set of statuses, so doesn't share codes. Based on what you've said I think I can put them in one dimension to save work.

Thanks again

Scott

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:28 am

I generally frown upon this approach for the same reasons they are bad for OLTP systems. Google "MUCK table" for more details.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down