Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using a Dimension Table to Track Changes?

2 posters

Go down

Using a Dimension Table to Track Changes? Empty Using a Dimension Table to Track Changes?

Post  EyeBikeRide Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:12 am

I have the need to track changes on certain pricing/lock aspects of a loan. Our lock desk is allowed by the source system to change things like Lock Expiration Date, Loan Program Name, Loan Sell Price, Loan Buy Price. While the source system has an audit log to reflect these changes, the audit log is not query-able outside of the application or reportable inside the application. Accordingly, I would like to use a Dimension table to track these changes.

Is is OK to use a Dimension table in this standalone fashion or is there some other pattern I should be considering? My suspicion is that we are losing money on lock extensions and program changes but I can't prove it without knowing the history of the loan.

Thanks.

EyeBikeRide

Back to top Go down

Using a Dimension Table to Track Changes? Empty Re: Using a Dimension Table to Track Changes?

Post  ngalemmo Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:59 pm

It's not clear what you mean by 'track changes'.  Type 2 dimensions will naturally track changes to attribute values in the dimension.  So, if all you are worried about is dimensional attributes, that should do.  But, if what you mean is to maintain a record of change events, with information such as what changed, when, and by who, that is what fact tables are for... to record business events or states. A change event log would be a transactional fact table.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down