Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Datetime or DateID and TimeID in transactional fact table

2 posters

Go down

Datetime or DateID and TimeID in transactional fact table Empty Datetime or DateID and TimeID in transactional fact table

Post  Scott Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:54 am

My transactional fact table is tracking status change. To enable me to do point in time analysis, I need to store the source row updated date. I know normally all date/times in facts will be separate fields as id's but in the scenario to find the status at a point in time, for querying is it better to store this as a datetime?

Scott

Back to top Go down

Datetime or DateID and TimeID in transactional fact table Empty Re: Datetime or DateID and TimeID in transactional fact table

Post  ron.dunn Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:48 am

I think it depends on whether you need to know how things change, for example, at 11am across all days.

If it is possible to analyse by both date AND time, at the same time, then separate the dimensions.

ron.dunn

http://ajilius.com

Back to top Go down

Datetime or DateID and TimeID in transactional fact table Empty Re: Datetime or DateID and TimeID in transactional fact table

Post  Scott Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:27 am

The fact grain is when the status changes so it will be purely used to see what the status was at that point in time, so i'm thinking I need to keep as a datetime and if analysis is required on the separate elements I will add dateid and timeid dimensions.

Scott

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down