Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too many columns in fact table

3 posters

Go down

Too many columns in fact table Empty Too many columns in fact table

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:48 am

How many columns are 'too many' in a fact table.
Is it advised to keep 100 columns in a fact table. What are the impacts of a fact table with too many columns.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Too many columns in fact table Empty Re: Too many columns in fact table

Post  ngalemmo Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:51 pm

Fact tables are the largest tables in a dimensional model. The basic concern with any fact table is performance. Most of the time, due to the nature of analytic queries, DBMS's will scan the full table rather than use indexes. The wider the table the more data needs to be handled, so it takes longer to query and longer to load.

100 columns seems to be excessive. Use of degenerate dimensions should be kept to a minimum. Rather than store orphan attributes in the table, they should be grouped into junk dimensions.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Fact tables are the largest tables in a dimensional model. The basic concern with any fact table is performance. Most of the time, due to the nature of analytic queries, DBMS's will scan the full table rather than use indexes. The wider the table the more data needs to be handled, so it takes longer to query and longer to load.

100 columns seems to be excessive. Use of degenerate dimensions should be kept to a minimum. Rather than store orphan attributes in the table, they should be grouped into junk dimensions.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  zoom Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:32 pm

Most RDBMS allow more than 1000 columns in a table. If performance is not the issue then you can have 100 columns in your Fact table. I had more than 600 columns in DB2, but performance started to degrade so I had to move some columns to a new fact table.

zoom

Back to top Go down

Post  ron.dunn Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:27 pm

Just out of curiousity, Zoom, what type of business fact can have around 600 dimensions or measures?

Even when I think of some of the snapshot facts I've delivered over the years, 600 is a LOT.

ron.dunn

http://ajilius.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down