Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linking Parent-Child Tables

2 posters

Go down

Linking Parent-Child Tables Empty Linking Parent-Child Tables

Post  ea25 Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi,

I'm modeling a Parent-Child scenario between Order and Test where the there is a 1:M relationship between these two facts.

The cost measure is at the Test wgrain and price measure is at the Order grain. Thus an order can have multiple tests which cost X amount each, but price Y can only be tagged to the Order.  According to the Data Warehouse Toolkit, you cannot have a fact table with mixed grains, therefore I'm modelling these as 2 separate entities.

The conventional way to link these two is via the drill-across technique via conformed dimensions. In my case this is the Patient Dimension.

My question is if I have a report in which I need to show each Order which Tests were associated with it, how would I be able to do generate this? The Order Degenerate Dimension will be allocated to the Test Fact. Should I be using the Order Degenerate Dimension to join the tables together?

Thanks for your assistance.

ea25

Back to top Go down

Linking Parent-Child Tables Empty Re: Linking Parent-Child Tables

Post  ngalemmo Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:45 pm

A degenerate dimension value is just as much a conforming dimension as anything else. It is a conformed dimension common to both tables. Yes, you can use it.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ea25 Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:10 am

Thank you for your concise and accurate reply.

To sum it all then I'll just have to pull the Order DD from both the Order Fact and Test Fact table, make a sub-query for both to get them to the same grain, join the sub-queries using a conventional Join on the the Order DD.

ea25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down