Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you combine an accumulating and periodic snapshot into a single accumulating periodic snapshot table?!

2 posters

Go down

Can you combine an accumulating and periodic snapshot into a single accumulating periodic snapshot table?! Empty Can you combine an accumulating and periodic snapshot into a single accumulating periodic snapshot table?!

Post  bw2000 Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:47 am

Hi,

Similar (luckily!) to the accumulating snapshot example in the TDWToolkit 2nd ed book on p.245, I have a requirement for tracking a student admissions pipeline, however my accumulating snapshot would be at a lower grain than the example as each prospective student can apply for multiple courses (although as part of the pipeline they will only ever enrol on a single course) and can apply for the next or future enrolment years.

As well as slicing by dimensions joined to the accumulating snapshot table, business needs also require some time based analysis.  e.g:
1. see trends over time of accumulating snapshot facts.  e.g. "Admitted Quantity" by day for a given enrolment year.
2. year on year comparisons for any particular day.  e.g. how does our pipeline today for the next enrolment year compare to the equivalent day for previous years.

The only way I can think of doing this is by creating an accumulating snapshot and then taking a daily snapshot of it.  This then turns it into a accumulating periodic snapshot?!  Is there another (or correct) approach I should be following?

Thanks!

bw2000

Back to top Go down

Can you combine an accumulating and periodic snapshot into a single accumulating periodic snapshot table?! Empty Re: Can you combine an accumulating and periodic snapshot into a single accumulating periodic snapshot table?!

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:48 pm

Accumulating snapshots are nearly always sourced from an accompanying transaction fact table. I would think your transaction fact, or an aggregation of that fact would provide your answers.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down