Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instead of Order Management, this dimensional modeling is more for Quotation and Purchase Order management

Go down

Instead of Order Management, this dimensional modeling is more for Quotation and Purchase Order management Empty Instead of Order Management, this dimensional modeling is more for Quotation and Purchase Order management

Post  KimStacks Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:05 am

I finished reading Chapter 6 of the 3rd ed of the Data Warehouse Toolkit book on Dimensional Modeling.

It is an eye opener.

Having said that, the situation I have is less of Order Invoice Management but more of a Quotation and Purchase Order Management.

Quotations can be changed and updated endlessly until both seller and buyer are happy with the Quotation. After that a Quotation is confirmed or can be cancelled.

A Quotation has its own Quotation Number and has several Quotation Line Items.

After which Purchase Order will be issued which will be matched against a Quotation and it will also list its own Purchase Order Line Items.
Sometimes, multiple Purchase Orders are issued against the same Quotation because the buyer makes a typo or suddenly decides to cancel the Order.

My users are the sellers and they often want to see results such as the status of the Quotation and the gross and net values of the Quotation. Occasionally, they also want to see things like the total hardware net value per Quotation, total software net value per Quotation. The nature of the Line Item of course depends on the Product dimension.

My question is, do I follow the Order Management chapter and design it such that I have fact tables only for the Quotation Line Item and Purchase Order Line Item. Everything else will be a Dimensional Table.

Yes?

KimStacks

Back to top Go down