Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Structure Information

2 posters

Go down

How to Structure Information Empty How to Structure Information

Post  akirajt Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:42 am

Hello!

I have a question and I need some reflection based on your experience.

The company A has a headquarter (HQ) with 60 staff and 17 decision maker work outside of HQ.
The A has has about 13 source system.

Today, their source system is overloaded with lots of data and they do not have control of their incoming data. It is too much unstructural data.

The problem statement from their side is:
How should A structure their information and also enable to deliver right information to the right person in an organizational pyramid (strategy, management and operation).

My Question is:

What methodlogy approach and why do you need to do in order to answer their problem statement?

My strong felling tells me that you need to be a business analyst, BI analyst or similiar in this situation.

Thank you!

akirajt

Back to top Go down

How to Structure Information Empty Re: How to Structure Information

Post  nick_white Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:02 am

Yes - you need Business Analysts (with BI experience) to work with the business to understand their reporting requirements both in terms of what they want to report on and who needs access to these reports.

Kimball's book "The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit" is a very good starting point for how to manage a BI/DW project from beginning to end

nick_white

Back to top Go down

Post  akirajt Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:49 am

nick_white wrote:Yes - you need Business Analysts (with BI experience) to work with the business to understand their reporting requirements both in terms of what they want to report on and who needs access to these reports.

Do you need to make a lot of indivdiual interview or workshop in this context?

akirajt

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_white Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:51 am

You need to carry out interviews - whether that's "a lot" of interviews depends on the number of people you have who need to contribute.

I would normally split the interviews into 2 groups:
1) Senior managers/directors: to give you the big picture of what they want to achieve, where the business is going, what the constraints are on BI availability that they feel is holding the company back, etc
2) BI users/analysts - the people responsible for actually creating or using reports

The 1st group I would almost always do as 1-2-1 interviews; the 2nd group could be interviews or workshops. If you have a team of analysts all doing the same job it makes sense to get them all in a workshop and agree their requirements together rather than interviewing them individually

nick_white

Back to top Go down

Post  akirajt Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:19 pm

nick_white wrote:You need to carry out interviews - whether that's "a lot" of interviews depends on the number of people you have who need to contribute.

I would normally split the interviews into 2 groups:
1) Senior managers/directors: to give you the big picture of what they want to achieve, where the business is going, what the constraints are on BI availability that they feel is holding the company back, etc
2) BI users/analysts - the people responsible for actually creating or using reports

The 1st group I would almost always do as 1-2-1 interviews; the 2nd group could be interviews or workshops. If you have a team of analysts all doing the same job it makes sense to get them all in a workshop and agree their requirements together rather than interviewing them individually

When you have retrieved the data, what method, model etc do you use in order to achieve a conclusion?

akirajt

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_white Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:38 am

The method I use is to apply my years of experience working in IT and the model I use is to get paid for using my experience

To be slightly more serious, I think your questions can't be answered in a forum like this as you really need experience in order to be able to draw the correct conclusions from the data you've gathered. Reading Kimball's book (or any other source on Business/Requirements Analysis) would be a start but I would strongly recommend that you employ someone with experience and then absorb as much of their knowledge as you can so you can run subsequent projects on your own.
Even with the best will in the world, trying to run a project like this having read a book/been on a course/asked some questions in a forum is almost certainly going to lead to the project failing (to a greater or lesser degree)

nick_white

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down