Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conformed Fields or Snowflake? - Shop and Customer Location

3 posters

Go down

Conformed Fields or Snowflake? - Shop and Customer Location Empty Conformed Fields or Snowflake? - Shop and Customer Location

Post  rendybjunior Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:19 am

I have shop dimension and customer dimension which both has location information.

Should I create location dimension to correlate shop location and customer location?
I believe this one is called snowflake schema. I heard that it is hard to maintain.

Code:
    |----------|       |---------|       |----------|
    | Dim_Cust | ----- | Dim_Loc | ----- | Dim_Shop |
    |----------|       |---------|       |----------|

Or, should I maintain definition that shop and customer dimension is conformed by each location field?
For this one, I denormalized location information to each dimension.

Code:
    |----------|       |----------|
    | Dim_Cust |------ | Dim_Shop |
    |----------|       |----------|

rendybjunior

Back to top Go down

Conformed Fields or Snowflake? - Shop and Customer Location Empty Re: Conformed Fields or Snowflake? - Shop and Customer Location

Post  Dr. Warehouse Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Maybe you could explain a bit about what you are trying to achieve? What are you measuring? How do you want to model your fact table? That usually has a big impact on what the correct solution to your problem is.

Snowflaking should generally be avoided. Your second example still resembles part of a snowflake (dim to dim) though.

Dr. Warehouse

Back to top Go down

Conformed Fields or Snowflake? - Shop and Customer Location Empty Re: Conformed Fields or Snowflake? - Shop and Customer Location

Post  ngalemmo Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:49 pm

What do you mean by 'location'? Is it some form of geo-coding (lat/long, region code…)?

The location needs to remain in context. One is the presumed location of the customer and the other the location of the store. Location itself doesn't necessarily require its own dimension. You only consider a dimension if the entity itself has attributes. If it is just a code and description those are usually maintained within the customer and store dimensions.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down