Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fact 1:1 relationship with dimension

2 posters

Go down

Fact 1:1 relationship with dimension Empty Fact 1:1 relationship with dimension

Post  vee_jess Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:37 am

Fact 1:1 relationship with dimension Scenar10

Fact 1:1 relationship with dimension Dimens11

Hello,

The above is a dimensional model I am working on based on the scenario. I have few questions and will appreciate if someone can help.

1. DimConsignment and FactConsignment will have the same number of records. Not sure if it’s correct to have a fact and a dimension table with the same number of records! If not, what’s the best way to model this? There is also similar relationship between FactParcel and DimParcel.
2. When a factless fact table shares a 1-1 relationship to a dimension table, is it worth having that fact table? Example above would be the FactManifest and DimManifest.
3. Is there anything you would change in the above model to make it better?

vee_jess

Back to top Go down

Fact 1:1 relationship with dimension Empty Re: Fact 1:1 relationship with dimension

Post  ngalemmo Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:30 pm

What are the attributes of DIM_CONSIGNMENT?

The basic technique is to reduce the contents of the consignment dimension to multiple smaller dimensions and reference those dimensions in the fact. The consignment is reduced to a degenerate dimension (consignment ID).
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Fact 1:1 relationship with dimension Empty Re: Fact 1:1 relationship with dimension

Post  vee_jess Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:00 pm

In the current OLTP system the consignment table is the main table and it contains lots of fields. I have tried to separate those fields into their own dimensions and also created a FactConsignment table but there some that, i believe need to be in the DimConsignment table. These are
ConsignmentCode,
consignmentWeight,

CreatedDateTime,
ProcessedDateTime,
DespatchDateTim,
StartPostcoe,
EndPostcode,
OrderDate
OrderNumber,
Etc

vee_jess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down