Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-Built Dimensional Models

4 posters

Go down

Pre-Built Dimensional Models Empty Pre-Built Dimensional Models

Post  TheNJDevil Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 am

I understand that we should totally be designing our dimensional models based on user requirements. But, does anyone out there have pre-built, or starting point, dimensional models that can be purchased and customized. Having starting points gives me ideas of what exactly to talk about with the users during requirements gathering. If anyone can point me in that direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TheNJDevil

Back to top Go down

Pre-Built Dimensional Models Empty Re: Pre-Built Dimensional Models

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 am

Kimball's modeling book is the best resource I've seen.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:21 pm

I think the big boys have standard models but I understand they are expensive.

You are on the right track in your thinking. I think the general design of a DW is dependent on the industry. All medical insurance companies are going to have the same basic dimensions and facts. Manufacturing companies should have similar designs, fast food, etc.

There is no reason to reinvent the wheel.

I beleive the big vendors (IBM, Teradata, etc) will have base designs, but they will be expensive. Another option would be to find a consultant with a lot of experience in your industry.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_white Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:20 am

... and then pay that consultant a lot of money to make use of his/her hard-won knowledge and experience!

My own view: the generic part of any model tends to be so small compared to the custom parts driven by a client's particular requirements that it's almost always easier to start with a clean sheet of paper than try and amend an existing model

In any case, why would you want to discuss Dimensional Models in a requirements gathering session? The data model is part of the solution and would normally be considered much later in the process than requirements gathering

nick_white

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:34 am

nick_white wrote:... and then pay that consultant a lot of money to make use of his/her hard-won knowledge and experience!
That's the idea! You make it sound like a bad thing. BTW, I give free information out every day on this board. :-)

BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  TheNJDevil Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:58 am

With some pre-built, starting point, dimensional models, I would be able to study those and then make sure that during they requirements gathering, I can make sure that we touch on all the pieces. The problem is that I am not an expert in any area of the business, and those who are the experts don't have excess time. The more of a head start I can get beforehand, the more productive requirements meetings will be. That is how I would be tying a DM with requirements.

TheNJDevil

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:06 pm

Template models are a great idea, but as mentioned be prepared to spends 100's of thousands of dollars. If the business had that kind of money, they'd hire more people so that you could get the face time to build something really helpful with their input. Funny how organizations can't see the dependency.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down