Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I obtain detailed reports through SSRS on an OLAP datamart?

2 posters

Go down

How do I obtain detailed reports through SSRS on an OLAP datamart? Empty How do I obtain detailed reports through SSRS on an OLAP datamart?

Post  dimdate Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:53 am

I am accustomed to writing detailed reports from my OLTP databases. Piece of cake and I have no problems with this.

Now we are putting in our first datamart and I am at a loss.  

1. Will I be able to use the datamart dimensions and facts to produce the same 'detailed reports' as in my OLTP environment?
2. Will I be able to use the cube dimensions and facts to produce the same 'detailed reports' as in my OLTP environment?

If 'no' to the answers above please point me into a direction which will assist with adding the needed clarity in my thinking.

dimdate

Back to top Go down

How do I obtain detailed reports through SSRS on an OLAP datamart? Empty Re: How do I obtain detailed reports through SSRS on an OLAP datamart?

Post  ngalemmo Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:52 pm

1.  If its a relational database,  its SQL.  If the data is there, sure.

2. Cubes (MDDB) are specifically designed to support OLAP analysis, not tabluar reporting.  They are not meant to store the level of detail needed to support operational type reports.  MDX, the standard query language for cubes, is not suited for such queries.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down