Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Certification Program

2 posters

Go down

Certification Program Empty Certification Program

Post  manickam Mon May 12, 2014 6:15 am

Is there any certification available for data modeling.

manickam

Back to top Go down

Certification Program Empty Re: Certification Program

Post  nick_white Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 am

I'm not aware of any generic certification in data modelling - though most technology companies in this area have relevant courses and their own certification e.g. Erwin courses, Oracle Data Warehousing, etc. If you want to learn a specific DM tool then I would go look at the website of the tool supplier

However, if you want to learn Dimensional Modelling then I would read the relevant Kimball book(s). Just my opinion, but when I'm recruiting people I don't care about what certificates they hold - I'm interested in the experience they have had and/or if they are new to the area of DM that they have read the Kimball books (or equivalent) and understood the concepts.

In a lot of (most?) cases, having a certificate proves someone attended a course and can pass an exam - it doesn't mean they can use the concepts/tool in the real world. So I would never recruit someone on the basis of them having a certificate or reject them because they didn't.

nick_white

Back to top Go down