Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Start and Finish dates and role-playing dimensions

2 posters

Go down

Start and Finish dates and role-playing dimensions Empty Start and Finish dates and role-playing dimensions

Post  cube.head Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:55 pm

I have a bunch of date dimensions, such as BaselineDate, TargetDate, etc... I created role-playing views over my Date dimension for each of the different types of dates.

But each fact row will have a StartDateID and a FinishDateID for each (like BaselineStartDateID and BaselineFinishDateID), which leaves me wondering how to join to the fact table. I think I'm just going to join both to the same dimension (BaselineDate, for instance). But that doesn't sound right. Is that the right way to go?

Thanks for your advice.

cube.head

Back to top Go down

Start and Finish dates and role-playing dimensions Empty Re: Start and Finish dates and role-playing dimensions

Post  ngalemmo Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:34 am

Each FK should reference a view of or an alias of the date dimension table. Personally, I don't bother creating views as most BI tools provide an easy way to alias tables with multiple rolebased FK references.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down