Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DataWarehouse Data Model - financial Serivces

2 posters

Go down

DataWarehouse Data Model - financial Serivces Empty DataWarehouse Data Model - financial Serivces

Post  mishka Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:17 pm

Hello,

we are creating a new DW at our firm. I have several questions. The first one is In regards to fact tables. I am starting to build this table out and noticing that the number of measure will be extremly high. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas/recommendation on the subject.

We are interested in using a BI tool in the future. Most likely Analysis Services.

Thank you in advance.

m

mishka

Back to top Go down

DataWarehouse Data Model - financial Serivces Empty Re: DataWarehouse Data Model - financial Serivces

Post  Jeff Smith Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:46 pm

It depends. If the measures are populated for each row, then maybe a lot of measures is OK. If few rows have values for every measure and if most of the measures are blank or 0 for the rows, well then maybe you add a Measure Dimension to the fact and have just one measure. But if a lot of rows have a lot of measures, then the number of rows in your fact table will grow greatly with a measure dimension.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

DataWarehouse Data Model - financial Serivces Empty Re: DataWarehouse Data Model - financial Serivces

Post  mishka Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi,

There are about 15 of the 60 measure colunms that are like buckets and will be 0 for most of the attributes. However, In those cases we would want to see the 0 value. Any advise you have will be appreciated.

thank you,
m

mishka

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down