Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need an Entity-Relationship (ER) Diagram (that describe the relationship between entities)

4 posters

Go down

Need an Entity-Relationship (ER) Diagram (that describe the relationship between entities) Empty Need an Entity-Relationship (ER) Diagram (that describe the relationship between entities)

Post  JR19 Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:39 am

Hi,
I need an Entity-Relationship (ER) Diagram (that describe the relationship between entities)for the below requirement. Please help me as I am a newbie

Client Information: ABC

1) Many stores across many countries

2) Each store employ staff (that could move across stores)

3) Each store sells hundreds of products across 3 product lines

a)Magazines

b)Newspapers

c)Stationary

4) All stores sell the same product lines but may have different quantities available in their warehouses

5) Payment can be made by either POS terminal or online

a)Via cash/debit or credit card

b)Cheques not allowed

Please provide a ER diagram which describe the relationship between entities

JR19

Back to top Go down

Need an Entity-Relationship (ER) Diagram (that describe the relationship between entities) Empty Re: Need an Entity-Relationship (ER) Diagram (that describe the relationship between entities)

Post  nick_white Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:42 am

Hi - producing an E-R diagram for a dimensional model is the end result of a significant amount of work: requirements analysis, creating a Bus Matrix, defining the dimensional model, etc. I doubt anyone you contact on a forum has the time to produce an ER model for you and even if they did it would probably be of little use as they wouldn't know enough about your requirements to produce a useful model - plus, as you wouldn't have been through the design process, you would not be able to critique it

Can I suggest that you read a book on Dimensional Modelling and/or the process for implementing a data warehouse? As this is a Kimball forum the obvious place to start are the Kimball books:

The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Definitive Guide to Dimensional Modeling
The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit

Regards,

nick_white

Back to top Go down

Need an Entity-Relationship (ER) Diagram (that describe the relationship between entities) Empty Re: Need an Entity-Relationship (ER) Diagram (that describe the relationship between entities)

Post  ngalemmo Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:44 pm

What is this for?
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Do you have a Paypal account? ;-)
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:40 pm

OK, I'll pick out some candidate entities to get you started. All you have to do is connect the boxes.
Store
Product
Product Line
Staff
Location (Warehouse or Store)
Payment
Payment Method

Good luck!
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down