Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handling records in Fact when dimension is Type 2

3 posters

Go down

Handling records in Fact when dimension is Type 2 Empty Handling records in Fact when dimension is Type 2

Post  senthiljdpm Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:45 am

Hello,

I have a question on loading fact when my dimension is of type 2.

Eg:

I have a customer information loaded into cust dimension with the following information on day 1.

CUSTKEY   CUSTID   CUSTNAME    CUSTADDR            CURRFLAG
100            10A        PETER          16 PARK PLAZA           N                -- Day1
101            10A       PETER          16 PARK ROAD            Y                -- Day2

Here, during day 1, my fact will have customer record with CUSTKEY as 100 but when customer sends address change request on day 2, a new record in dimension will be created but still my FACT points to the old record with CUSTKEY = 100.

Should we go for fact truncate and load in this case or my dimension should be type 1.

Please advise.

senthiljdpm

Back to top Go down

Handling records in Fact when dimension is Type 2 Empty Re: Handling records in Fact when dimension is Type 2

Post  BoxesAndLines Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:38 pm

That's why it's called historical reporting. Your fact points to the values when they occurred. If you don't want this behavior, change the dimension to type 1.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Handling records in Fact when dimension is Type 2 Empty Re: Handling records in Fact when dimension is Type 2

Post  Abhiraizada Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:13 am

Please refer forum discussion at -

http://forum.kimballgroup.com/t2584-modified-scd-2-implementation

I have faced similar issue and implemented the so called SCD Type 7. You can refer following page for the same -

http://www.kimballgroup.com/2013/02/05/design-tip-152-slowly-changing-dimension-types-0-4-5-6-7/ ( refer last section describing Type 7).

Regards,
Abhiraizada

Abhiraizada

Back to top Go down

Post  senthiljdpm Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:15 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean Type 7 as inclusion of a mini dimension table with its key as a foreign key to Fact?

senthiljdpm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down