Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

effect of data sources in dimensional modeling

4 posters

Go down

effect of data sources in dimensional modeling Empty effect of data sources in dimensional modeling

Post  fahime Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:01 am

Hello
Is it possible to remove something from dimensional model because there is not anything about it in data sources?
for example :best dimensional model is based on REAL data that determine with business process
now if I want to fill a dimension table  that not have anything in data sources for it ,how can I fill it in ETL process?

fahime

Back to top Go down

effect of data sources in dimensional modeling Empty Re: effect of data sources in dimensional modeling

Post  BoxesAndLines Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:40 am

Make it up?
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

effect of data sources in dimensional modeling Empty Re: effect of data sources in dimensional modeling

Post  ngalemmo Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 pm

I don't follow. Are you talking about a packaged 'standard' data model?

If you don't have data suitable for the model, change the model.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fahime Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:07 am

for example I want to store customer age in customer dimension table,
but in all data sources that I can use there is not anything about customer age.
what can I do?

fahime

Back to top Go down

Post  marcin.wizgird Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:30 am

Sometimes dimension attributes such as customer age can be calculated in the ETL process. In case it's not possible and they cannot be sourced from any source, they can be manually edited by business users - for instance with special web application dedicated for that purpose
marcin.wizgird
marcin.wizgird

Back to top Go down

Post  fahime Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:42 am

ok, thanks.
therefore, not only data warehouse tables data fill with data sources in ETL process,but also business users can change data warehouse tables data with some applications, for example web applications.
is it true?

fahime

Back to top Go down

effect of data sources in dimensional modeling Empty Reply with quote Re: effect of data sources in dimensional modeling

Post  marcin.wizgird Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:50 am

True.
In the global data warehouses of my clients it's normal practice.
marcin.wizgird
marcin.wizgird

Back to top Go down

Post  fahime Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:52 am

thanks so mush.
I found my answer...

fahime

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down