Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multiple source file with different measures

3 posters

Go down

Multiple source file with different measures Empty Multiple source file with different measures

Post  sarah_id1 Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi,

I scanned briefly for my scenario in the forum but couldn't find much.
We get 10 source files containing a list of measure at point of time (DateTime) daily.
Each files have different activity measurements, 40% of the measures are common for 5 source files, 20% for other 3 files and so on...

I am leaning to have a 1 big merged fact table with all measures from all the files and a additional field Activity_Type to identify Activity Type.
We don't have future reporting anticipation but hoping requirement will be to report measurement independent of Activity_Type which would mean "WHERE Activity_Type = 'ABC' AND DATE = 'xx' AND ...."

Would anyone see any drawback in this approach.

Sarah

sarah_id1

Back to top Go down

Multiple source file with different measures Empty Re:Multiple source file with different measures

Post  hkandpal Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi,

It looks fine, if you don't have any reporting requirement. Are all the different activity measurement coming at the same frequency or some are coming daily and some are at a different frequency (the grain)  ?

thanks

hkandpal

Back to top Go down

Multiple source file with different measures Empty Multiple source file with different measures

Post  zoom Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:22 pm

You should at least create a "source" dim so you know which measure is coming from where.

zoom

Back to top Go down

Multiple source file with different measures Empty Re: Multiple source file with different measures

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down