Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FACT or DIM or both?

2 posters

Go down

FACT or DIM or both? Empty FACT or DIM or both?

Post  gary1975 Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:13 am

Hi  

I am really struggling with the design of one of my Star Schemas. The granularity of the Star Schema is Individual Engagements. This is a transactional model that captures every engagement with an individual. Each engagement is captured in the FACT with the dimensions Engagement Type, Individual, and Location etc.... 

Engagements have Engagement Outputs not all Engagements have Outputs and there is even Engagements Outputs without an Engagement. I started to design a Star Schema around Engagement Outputs but most of the Dims are the same as Engagements apart from 'Enagement Output Type'. Also some of the questions the business wants to answer are around the types of outputs that came from an Engagement. But they still want to answer questions such as “Count of Unique individuals engaged in career planning” Career planning being an Engagement Type. 

Should I try and have the one FACT containing Engagements and Engagement Outputs? If so would Engagements become a Dimension?   

Thanks,

Gary

gary1975

Back to top Go down

FACT or DIM or both? Empty Re: FACT or DIM or both?

Post  Mike Honey Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:23 am

Hi Gary,

I would probably keep Engagements and Engagement Outputs as separate Facts, as they clearly have unique granularity.  Mixing granularity in one Fact table is almost always not a good idea.

Good luck!
Mike
Mike Honey
Mike Honey

http://www.mangasolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gary1975 Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks Mike

gary1975

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down