Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Dimensions should / could we join to our accumulating fact table?

2 posters

Go down

What Dimensions should / could we join to our accumulating fact table? Empty What Dimensions should / could we join to our accumulating fact table?

Post  LonghornRon Wed May 01, 2013 1:29 am

We are building an accumulating fact table to track the stages of a new customer and their advertisement. All of the reading material highlights / focused on all of the FKs for the multiple dates that we would have. However, I don't see where we include the FKs to other dimensions like, in this case, for customer and advertisement. The business will want to analyze the time lag between the different events by different slices such as: type of customer, type of ad, ad price, web site ad was placed on, etc.

1) Do we have joins to these tables at all? (Sorry if this is elementary)

2) If yes, and these are SCD II, do we join to the surrogate keys at the time of the event that causes the insert/update?

3) Do we update these values when we do additional updates?

3) Do we join to the SK and/or current version only/ever?

I think some of these were answered in other posts, but I think they confused me more than helped.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Ron
LonghornRon
LonghornRon

Back to top Go down

What Dimensions should / could we join to our accumulating fact table? Empty Re: What Dimensions should / could we join to our accumulating fact table?

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed May 01, 2013 11:25 am

1. Yes, add all appropriate dimensions just like any other type of fact table.
2. Yes. It's the same logic as other fact tables.
3. I would. If you have to update the fact row, you might as well update all the (other) dimensions
4. I always get the current version of the dimension. Why would you ever want something different?
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down