Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fact with non-additive measures

2 posters

Go down

Fact with non-additive measures Empty Fact with non-additive measures

Post  SnowShine429 Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a table that stores our customers information such as Number of Employees, Primary Officer Name etc. This table has a start date and end date which means, customer ABC may have 100 employees from 1/1/2011 to 12/31/2011 and then 120 employees from 1/1/2012 to 12/31/2012. Since the facts in this table aren't additive, how should I handle this in the Data Warehouse? Also, how should I join it with my date table as it has a date range. Please advise and thanks a bunch in advance.

SnowShine429

Back to top Go down

Fact with non-additive measures Empty Re: Fact with non-additive measures

Post  ngalemmo Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Its a snapshot. Its common.

The 'date range' is misleading, or it should be. Normally stuff like this is as of a particular date. It is unreasonable to expect that over a period of a year a company had X employees, no more, no less. You need to choose one of the dates to represent the value. Normally this is the end date.

As far as the measures go, they are semi-additive. It would make no sense to sum the values across time (although you could do averages across time), but it could make sense for other sums within the same time period.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down