Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Show just data that are relavant to fact table

3 posters

Go down

Show just data that are relavant to fact table Empty Show just data that are relavant to fact table

Post  MK Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi,

I have a problem. In some cases I must show the users just that data that are relavant to fact tabel data.
For example I must show in promt just doctors, services, procesess,... that apear in a fact table.

Do anybody have a simple sugestion how to do that. My co-workers want that we must have two dimension instead of one, because
it is useed in other fact tables, where we must show all data in Prompt. In second dimesion table we will put only the data (with join)
that appear in fact table. This would need a minimum of 10 dimensions, this means 20 dimensions instead of 10 ;-(.

How do you hadle this: with olap tool or view or sesond table (like my co- workers want)???

Thanks for in advance, K

MK

Back to top Go down

Show just data that are relavant to fact table Empty Re: Show just data that are relavant to fact table

Post  ngalemmo Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:29 pm

If the users don't want to wait a while for a drop down list, your only option is to create small list tables as needed. They are not dimensions per-se, just utility tables to speed up the presentation of the drop down list.

Of course, the first time they get a list of 100's of doctors, they are probably going to want a cascading list based on facility, specialty or something else...
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Show just data that are relavant to fact table Empty RE - data relavant to fact table

Post  MK Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:40 am

Hi,

I am worry about this because wi have several table like this and then it will be insted of 10 dimensions ...10 littele dimension of that ;-(.

Thanks for help, KM

MK

Back to top Go down

Show just data that are relavant to fact table Empty Re: Show just data that are relavant to fact table

Post  hkandpal Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:04 am

Hi,

one way you could do this is have a materialized view created for the dimension, but it depends how frequently your facts get loaded and how you want to refresh the MV's.

thanks

hkandpal

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for replay. You realy help me, thanks for help,

Best regards, K

MK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down