Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Column count on dimension table

4 posters

Go down

Column count on dimension table Empty Column count on dimension table

Post  DMMay Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:46 pm

I'm currently modeling a star schema for data mart and fairly new to the process. I have one dimension (dim_Request) that has a lot of columns (276). Is there a breaking point in the number of columns recommended for a dimension? Do I need to normalize this dimension to get the column number down?

Thanks

DMMay

DMMay

Back to top Go down

Column count on dimension table Empty Re: Column count on dimension table

Post  ngalemmo Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Column count isn't a determining factor per-se. But, you should go through an exercise to see where you may have embedded useful dimensions in the table.

There is also a common design error where dimensions are misused to record events. That is the domain of a fact table. Is your dimension describing the request or is it recording the request?
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LAndrews Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:28 pm

ngalemmo wrote: Is your dimension describing the request or is it recording the request?

Describing vs Recording - I like it. This is an effective way to differentiate the thinking about dimensions versus facts. Recording is more appropriate than "Measuring".

LAndrews

Back to top Go down

Post  pnosko Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:08 am

Yes, describing vs. recording is interesting.

I have a (type 2) dimension that represents a service agreement. In the OLTP system, this entity has a repeating attributes child table for a rate code and effective date. The rate code is a FK to a rate schedule entity table. So this child table is a M:M join table.

From your description, it sounds like this is recording an event. But in the OLTP system, the application allows them to change the rate code for a historical (not most current) effective date.

How would you model this? Should this repeating data be a) flattened in the service agreement dimension or b) create a snowflaked dimension where these "events" are in a child dimension or c) stored as facts? I'm uncertain how a changed (corrected) historical rate code would work in a fact table. We would want to know that this change was made (and when). So I'd prefer to go with option A since the type 2 model would record the event change. The problem with flattening is deciding on the limit (number of repeating entries) since column changes in a dimension are an expensive change.

Thoughts?

pnosko

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down