Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

combine order, invoice, and backlog detail in one fact table

2 posters

Go down

combine order, invoice, and backlog detail in one fact table Empty combine order, invoice, and backlog detail in one fact table

Post  soup Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 am

I am thinking of combining the order, invoice, and backlog detail in one fact table. They all have the same dimensions and level of grain. The total of the invoices = orders+backlog.

I don't see any benefit in having 2 fact tables. One with invoice detail and one with order and backlog(open orders) detail.

Do you see anything wrong with this?

soup

Back to top Go down

combine order, invoice, and backlog detail in one fact table Empty Re: combine order, invoice, and backlog detail in one fact table

Post  ngalemmo Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Yes. An order and an invoice are entirely different things. You may consider creating an aggregate of the two, but I would not replace the two facts with a single fact.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

combine order, invoice, and backlog detail in one fact table Empty Re: combine order, invoice, and backlog detail in one fact table

Post  soup Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks!

soup

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down