Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7 different dates to seconds precision

4 posters

Go down

7 different dates to seconds precision Empty 7 different dates to seconds precision

Post  anusha.jalla@gmail.com Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:07 am

We store call center data and each call has 7 different dates associated to it. Example is CallTime, connectTime, FinishTime etc which may be just seconds apart making it important to store the dates till seconds and if possible milli seconds precision. Does these dates go into dimension table or a fact table?
If its a role playing dimension, do I need 7 dates and 7 time id's in fact table?

anusha.jalla@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

7 different dates to seconds precision Empty RE: 7 different dates to seconds precision

Post  hkandpal Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:35 am

Hi,

one approach that you can have is create two dimension , one will store the dates and onw will store the time dimension ( that could be at the hour, minute or secound level).
In the fact table you will have one FK key to date and the other to time.
thanks

Himanshu

hkandpal

Back to top Go down

7 different dates to seconds precision Empty Re: 7 different dates to seconds precision

Post  ngalemmo Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Does the time of day have attributes that you wish to associate with it? If no, then just store the timestamp as a degenerate dimension in the fact.
If there are attributes, then create a dimension. However, you may still wind up storing the timestamp as a degenerate dimension if the precision requirements for the value exceed the precision of the dimension.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

7 different dates to seconds precision Empty Re: 7 different dates to seconds precision

Post  anusha.jalla@gmail.com Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I think degenerate dimension will suit my use case more due to precision level uncertainty at this point.

anusha.jalla@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TheNJDevil Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:36 pm

I don't see how millisecond data is useful from a reporting standpoint. I've done reporting on call center data and 1/10th of a second is about all that is meaningful. Also, timestamps are great, but for analysis purposes, they will want the ability to break down by time of day. A time of day table with 1/10th second data for an entire day is not that large. I also precalculated time differences because they were always doing analysis by how long certain steps took (like hold time, time to disconnect, ect) and it wasn't very fast calculating on the fly.

TheNJDevil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down