Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loading dimension when source already has effective to and from dates

4 posters

Go down

Loading dimension when source already has effective to and from dates Empty Loading dimension when source already has effective to and from dates

Post  lcm Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi,

Wondering what the best way would be to handle the following:
  • Educational Institution
  • Currently modelling the courses offered
  • Need point in time so there are SCD type 2 requirements
  • Source has multiple rows for a course with effective from and to dates going back many year to delineate the changes in course attributes

I had initially thought I would complete the first load of the dimension deriving the SCD effective dates from the source effective dates and would then only consider the currently active records in the source for future loads.

However, the problems are that:
  • Courses are entered with effective dates in the future - for planning and enrolment reasons
  • Occasionally the effective from date on a course is adjusted to an earlier date (eg. changed from 2007-01-01 to 2006-01-01)
  • Occasionally a new row is added for an existing course with effective from/to placing it earlier in the timeline

For the above reasons I'm thinking that my previous idea is not going to work but the only other option I can come up with is to model each row in the source table (which has it's own unique id) as it's own entity in the dimension. I would have columns for CourseEffectiveFrom and CourseEffectiveTo based on those values in the source along with the standard SCD CURRENT/ROW_EFFECTIVE_FROM/TO columns.

The initial load would therefore have the same number of rows as the source, with duplicate entries for a course "code".

For some reason this feels strange but I'm unsure of a better way to handle it.

I'm sure this is a relatively common scenario so if anyone has any suggestions (or validation, if it makes sense) then I'd love to hear!

Thanks all,
lcm

lcm

Back to top Go down

Loading dimension when source already has effective to and from dates Empty Re: Loading dimension when source already has effective to and from dates

Post  hang Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:52 pm

Please refer to this related topic:
http://forum.kimballgroup.com/t836-loading-future-dated-rows-to-dimensions#3575

hang

Back to top Go down

Loading dimension when source already has effective to and from dates Empty Re: Loading dimension when source already has effective to and from dates

Post  lcm Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 am

Thanks hang - that was a good little read. It answers the question regarding the future rows but I can forsee that being tricky when handling future rows when dealing with both SCD type 1 and 2.

Probably the larger query is around the "historic" records changing date coverage. I'll try and give an example below:

Source table - this shows Scenario 1 - a future record in the source table
UQIDCourseCodeCourseNameCourseCreditsEffectiveFromEffectiveTo
1ABS100Absolutely Enthralling Course3002001-01-012006-12-31
2ABS100Absolutely Enthralling Course6002007-01-012011-12-31
3ABS100Absolutely Enthralling Course8002012-01-012199-12-31

Scenario 2 - Effective from date on a course is adjusted to an earlier date
1ABS100Absolutely Enthralling Course3001997-01-012006-12-31

Scenario 3 - A new row is added for an existing course with effective from/to placing it earlier in the timeline
1ABS100Absolutely Enthralling Course3002001-01-012006-12-31
4ABS100Absolutely Enthralling Course2001997-01-012000-12-31

So, as mentioned before, my original plan was to derive the SCD ROW_EFFECTIVE dates in the dimension from the EffectiveFrom/To dates in the source and store the relevant attributes. However, now that I'm aware of the above scenarios I don't think that plan is going to work. At least not without a whole lot of existing dimension record manipulation.

In the interests of keeping it simple I was instead thinking that I might have a dimension table as follows:

CourseKey(SK)CourseUQID(NK)CourseCodeCourseNameCourseCreditsEffectiveFromEffectiveToIS_CURRENTROW_EFFECTIVE_FROMROW_EFFECTIVE_TO

But looking at it I don't get the sense that it's ideal. However, if I did go down the above then future/back dated rows would just slot in and modifications to the dates of existing course ranges would be handled by a standard SCD2 new row.

As I said, seems to do what I need but still doesn't feel "right".

Any ideas folks??

Thanks,
lcm

lcm

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:58 am

The idea of having two sets of dates is fine. It's been discussed before.

You simply have two conflicting sets of date ranges. One relates to the business view of when something goes into effect and the other is the technical view of when it was applied to the data warehouse.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Loading dimension when source already has effective to and from dates Empty Back Date Business Effective Date

Post  manjith.gunatilaka Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi

I am looking for an answer to back date business effective From and To dates listed on this issue. Did anyone has a solution for that ? I am also having a similar issue.

Thanks

Manjith

manjith.gunatilaka

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down