Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Registration Fact, many instructors per fact row.

3 posters

Go down

Registration Fact, many instructors per fact row. Empty Registration Fact, many instructors per fact row.

Post  chade25 Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 pm

Ok, so in my schools registration model, I have courses that can be taught by many instructors. I really wanted to avoid a many-to-many. Right now I am recording the primary instructor. What would you guys do? I thought about making a table with many columns, but it seems lazy, but maybe that is a good idea, 1 instructor id per column. I could concatenate, but then costing out things wouldn't be true, so to speak. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

chade25

Back to top Go down

Registration Fact, many instructors per fact row. Empty Re: Registration Fact, many instructors per fact row.

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:07 am

Is there the concept of a primary teacher? If so, I would look at going lower on the grain to include course+teacher. You can then aggregate to the course level with a teacher count and include the primary teacher as a dimension. Just a thought.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Registration Fact, many instructors per fact row. Empty Re: Registration Fact, many instructors per fact row.

Post  chade25 Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 am

BoxesAndLines wrote:Is there the concept of a primary teacher? If so, I would look at going lower on the grain to include course+teacher. You can then aggregate to the course level with a teacher count and include the primary teacher as a dimension. Just a thought.

The primary is recorded, but when I can also attach dollars to the course from that regisration, so, it would be nice to record all the instructors to cost out courses, and see which ones are valuable

chade25

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:04 am

Do students enroll in a course or a session of a course? No matter... The common approach would be to tag the fact with a reference to the primary instructor, as you are doing, as well as provide a bridge based on course/session, referencing all participating instructors. The bridge can include a flag to indicate the primary, as well as an allocation factor representing each instructor's % contribution to the course.

You would only use the bridge on queries that need to account for all instructors.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chade25 Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:16 am

Yeah, sometimes its easy to get caught up with wanting everything to maintain the star schema for ease of reporting, but in the end, its not probable.

chade25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down