Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bridging Tables and Slowly Changing Dimensions

Go down

Bridging Tables and Slowly Changing Dimensions Empty Bridging Tables and Slowly Changing Dimensions

Post  kpdw166 Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:30 am

Hi,

I’m looking at building a bridging table between my customers dimension and accounts dimension, which will have the following attributes;

CUSTOMERS_BRIDGE
Account_id
Customer_id
Weighting_Factor
Holder_position
Holder_type
Begin_date
End_date
First_time_buyer_ind

My customer and account dimensions are both slowly changing dimensions with type 2 attributes. Should my bridging table only include the surrogate keys from my current records in each of my dimensions or should it include the history as well.

If I should include the history, how do I prevent this being confusing when reporting account to customer relationships? The begin and end dates on the bridging table would contain dates when a relationship started/ended and when a record in either of the dimension tables closed or was created.

I may have a relationship with multiple rows that have ended because these rows relate to changes in the attributes in the underlying dimensions but only relate to one closed relationship. How do I get around this issue or do you have another solution?

Also I have attributes on my bridging table that can be type 2 attributes (first time buyer indictor for example). Is it correct to have these on the bridging table and can I manage the changes of these too without confusing the account to customer relationships.

Many thanks

kpdw166

Back to top Go down